As I mentioned in my previous post, I decided to get a rather simple game done instead of dreaming of bigger ones. So far I think I was quite successful. I tried to reuse most of the code I already had and it was very helpful to modify my existing code towards a very clear playable game.
The game itself is already playable and I have a basic menu and basic gamelogic (you have 3 lives and once you die you’ll see the game over screen) and I can load and save levels. At first I thought of using 3d models by using the cal3d library which I already use in my research project, however I reminded myself of keeping things simple and created some nice sprites. I added PNG support by using libpng to be able to load sprites with transparency and also added simple animation of sprites. In the background the stars are moving sideways to give a slight 3d effect (looks very nice!).
What is still missing is sound and I need a few more animations (ship exploding, asteroid exploding). Additionally I do not yet count any points and some non-asteroid (maybe some powerups) would be nice to add more fun to the game.
Enough prose – here are some screenshots: